IDF Soldier Yehuda Katz Laid to Rest in Jerusalem After 44 Years Missing
The funeral of Staff Sergeant Yehuda Yekutiel Katz, who fell in the Battle of Sultan Yaakov 44 years ago and whose remains were returned to Israel this week, took place on Friday morning at the Mount of Olives Cemetery in Jerusalem. The funeral procession began at 8:30 a.m. from the Karem Yavneh Yeshiva. Katz's brother, Avi Katz, eulogized him at the gravesite, recalling the family's long struggle with his status as missing and their eventual acceptance of his death this week. Avi said, "For us, Yehuda died this week, not 44 years ago," emphasizing the deep and enduring impact Katz had on his family and the Israeli people.
Yehuda Katz, an armored corps soldier, was declared missing in action after falling in combat on June 11, 1982, during the First Lebanon War. His remains were identified following a joint intelligence operation led by the IDF Intelligence Directorate and Mossad, after more than four decades of intelligence and operational efforts. A security source involved in the investigation confirmed that scientific and unequivocal evidence proved the remains belonged to Katz, despite the inability to extract DNA. The decisive evidence emerged only last week, after experts completed thorough examinations and compiled a final report.
Over the years, hundreds of kilograms of materials related to the tank Katz fought in were collected and meticulously analyzed, including shells, metal fragments, and other items. These were examined by experts from the Military Rabbinate, the IDF Medical Corps, and the Israel Police, and compared with Katz's medical and dental records. The identification was based on a combination of forensic and medical findings, including confirmation from Katz's dentist, rather than DNA.
The discovery was described by those involved as "finding a needle in a haystack," with every possible item scrutinized over the years, including bones and stones sent for testing abroad. Katz's parents, Sarah and Yosef Katz, passed away without learning of his return. Katz's recovery completes the return of all missing soldiers from the Battle of Sultan Yaakov, following the return of Zachariah Baumel in 2019 and Zvi Feldman in 2025. IDF Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir told the family, "Today a circle is closed. After 44 years, the Battle of Sultan Yaakov is over. All missing soldiers from the battle have been returned to Israel."
The same event, reported separately by each outlet. Open a few to compare what different newsrooms emphasize — and what they leave out.
Not the same event — other stories that share this one’s people, places, or theme: background, reactions, and follow-ups.
